Here are some reasons to celebrate this month that will end the 3rd quarter of 2013:
- Labor Day is declared a US national holiday by Congress, 1894 celebrated the first Monday of the month.
- Sept 1st … Emma M. Nutt Day, the first woman telephone operator, 1878.
- Sept 2nd… V-J Day – Japan signed formal surrender, 1945.
- Sept.4th… Mark Spitz becomes the first athlete to win seven Olympic gold medals, 1972.
- Sept 7th… First Miss America Pageant, 1921.
- Sept 9th… The United Colonies” is renamed the “United States” by the Continental Congress, 1776.
- Sept 11th … 2,793 people died in New York, Washington DC and Pennsylvania from the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Sept 12th … John F. Kennedy marries Jacqueline Lee Bouvier, 1953.
- Sept 13th …National Chocolate day celebrated in honor of Milton Hershey, 1857. (Founder of Hershey Chocolate)
- Sept 15th … Alexander Fleming discovers Penicillin, 1928.
- Sept 17th … “M*A*S*H” premiers, 1972.
- Sept 21st … Sandra Day O’Connor was confirmed by the Senate as the first woman Supreme Court Justice, 1981.
- Sept 23rd … Ray Charles, Musician. Born Ray Charles Robinson on September 23, 1930 in Albany, GA. Lost his eyesight when he was 7. Died June 10, 2004 at the age of 73 from liver disease at his Beverly Hills CA home.
- Sept 24th … The first Transatlantic telephone cable was completed, 1956.
- USS Enterprise, the first nuclear aircraft carrier, launched on Sept. 24, 1960.
- Sept 26th … US Federal Trade Commission was established on Sept. 26, 1914.Thomas Jefferson becomes the first US Secretary of State on Sept. 26, 1789.
- Sept 27th … Answering machine patented, 1950.
- Sept 29th … US Army established, 1789.
- National Potato Month
- National Chicken Month
- National Piano Month
- National Biscuit Month
- It is the first month of the Autumn or Fall season.
- September in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to March in the Southern Hemisphere.
- American college and professional football begins during the month of September.
- Many kids begin the school year during this month.
Zodiac signs: Virgo and Libra
Content reproduced with permission from www.everyday-wisdom.com .
Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7477245@N05/5167199164/
How is September special for you? Share your thoughts below.0 Be the 1st to recommend